Monday, September 27, 2004

All Crew Training -- Playing Catch-up


Time to play a little catch-up. I started this BLOG after the All-Crew Training (ACT) sessions we had in San Diego, San Francisco and Phoenix but I want to share my feelings about those events in retrospect.

Aug 28, 2004 -- San Diego ACT

This being my second year for San Diego, I got to see all of the "old timers" we met last year. Almost the entire MotoCrew is back from last year, with a few Moves, Adds and Changes. Orb and Lisa, we wish you all the best in Belize and continue excellent health. To our newer members, welcome. You will have a blast!

The ACT went as expected with Zoe, Dagmar and Jen putting on an amazing show as always. Aren't they just the cutest triplets you've ever seen? ;-) The three of them, plus several staff members and Mr. Bumble led us through our meet and greet sessions as well as the actual training events. With several hundred walkers ending their training at our Pit Stop, we had a great day!

Sep 18, 2004 -- San Francisco ACT

Another great group of folks supporting the cause. From the sunshine and heat of the San Diego and Phoenix (see next paragraph) ACTs, the cold of San Francisco was a surprise to me and others. The ACT was very well coordinated and managed which made it very enjoyable. A lot of positive, fun people too. Another group of several hundred walkers, made up in large part by the Warming Hut Hotties!, were present at our Pit Stop for a little rest, nourishment and kibitzing. It was great to see Craig, the Crew Coordinator, again and to meet my crew captain, Dee Dee.


Sep 25, 2004 -- Phoenix ACT

Um... HOT? OK, I expected Phoenix to be hot, but damn people! Stop telling me we were lucky it had cooled down. Face it, triple digits is HOT. Anyway, the event was a blast since I knew no one there -- at least I thought I didn't until I ran into Tom Tryon, Crew Coordinate for LA who is crewing PHX, and a few walkers who knew me from San Diego in 2003. "Hey, weren't you the Cat in the Hat guy?" or "Thing 1 and Thing 2, right?". Yup Yup... that's me!

The event was great and meeting everyone was a blast. Unfortunately, the ride home wasn't as much fun as I expected when my bike broke down in Gila Bend, AZ. Actually, I just broke my shift linkage -- nothing some industrial grade zip-tying couldn't fix! I rode it home (back in San Diego at 10:30pm) and got the shifter fixed on Monday. All ready for the start of the events in San Diego this week!

Speaking of getting my bike ready, props and a great big Thank You to Rough House Cycles (http://www.rhchd.com/). Not only did they squeeze me in for a 25k tune up to prepare the bike for the hard riding, parade speed 3-Day but they fixed my linkage and donated to my fund raising! Amazing, guys! Thanks so much.

No comments: