Monday, October 18, 2004

What the hell was I thinking?

Riding through snow covered canyons is one of the most amazing experiences you can have if you are dressed for the occasion. I wasn't. Who thought on the way to Phoenix I would be riding at 7,000' in 30 degree weather? All of you, probably. Just not me. I never thought 40 degrees would feel so good, but that is the temperature, just outside of Squaw Valley, where my hands regained some feeling. Luckily, I had my heated jacket and rain gear, so I wasn't too cold. Unluckily, I left my heated gloves and socks at home. Again, 107 degrees in Phoenix! What the hell was I thinking riding to Reno in October?

Anyway, I am here and made a little money at the poker table to boot. Now it is off to bed for a very long day riding in the rain to Las Vegas. I expect to be in rain most of the day, but, except for the times I am at elevation, the temperatures should be moderate (65 degrees or so). I will leave tomorrow morning between 9 and 10am bundled in jeans, rain pants, chaps, long sleeve shirts, leather jacket and rain jacket. A face shield, bandana and gloves will complete my ensemble and then I will take off south. I hope to reach Las Vegas in about 11 or 12 hours with a lunch break and 3 or 4 gas stops. Once I thaw out there, I will send another update.

No comments: